The new Education Act and Education Regulations commenced 2 January 2016.

Work is currently underway to update policies, guidelines and other information sources to reflect the new Education Act and Regulations. 

Read more about legislation and the changes and updates to policies following introduction of the Education Act 2015.

To find out more you can contact Legislation Services by calling (08) 8901 4990 or emailing legislation.services@nt.gov.au.

Current policies

Policies provide advice for schools, students, parents and the wider school community on the provision of education services and decision-making processes across the Northern Territory.

All policies on this website are current and enforceable. If the suggested review date has passed, the policy remains current until the review is undertaken.

Schools can create their own policies in addition to the departmental policies listed below.

Talk to your child's school about their local policies.

Expand all | Close all

An allocation of 26 semesters of government school education for each child in the Northern Territory has been implemented under the new Education Act

The allocation of government school education applies to all students enrolled at Northern Territory government primary, middle and senior secondary schools from 1 January 2016.

Every student enrolled in a Northern Territory government school is entitled to receive an allocation of 26 semesters (13 years) of government school education from Transition to Year 12.

Current students will be allocated the number of semesters they need to finish school calculated from 1 January 2016. For example, a student enrolled in Year 5 at the commencement of Semester 1, 2016 will have a remaining allocation of 16 semesters, which will allow them the time they need to finish Year 12.

From now on, students who enrol in a government school at any time after Transition will be allocated the balance of semesters required to finish school at the end of Year 12.

Students can apply for an additional allocation if they need more time to complete their schooling.

Read the guidelines and application forms below for more information.


School Operations
Email: schoolops.det@nt.gov.au

Get the following policy documents describing how to manage asbestos in schools:

Get the following complaints and privacy complaints policy documents.

Read more about where and how to make your complaint about your child's school, vocational education or training in school or an early childhood service.

Get the enrolment and criminal history checks for mature age students policy documents.


The Education Act outlines the enrolment, attendance and participation requirements for all children residing in the Northern Territory and establishes parameters around the enrolment of students in Northern Territory government schools.

This following policy, guidelines and procedures provide quality and consistent processes for all schools and departmental staff to adhere to when assessing student eligibility for enrolment, processing and recording student enrolments and ensuring enrolment is enforced.

Criminal history checks for prospective mature age students

From 1 January 2016 all prospective mature age students must undertake a criminal history check to resume studies in any Northern Territory school. This applies to both government and non-government schools. 

This applies to all prospective students who are 18 years of age or older and have not been enrolled in a school in the previous 12 months. 

When applying to enrol in a school, mature age students must provide a criminal history record at their own expense. The criminal history record will be checked for disqualifying offences. If the applicant has a disqualifying offence they may not enrol in any school in the NT. 

There are separate processes for government, Catholic and independent schools.

Government Schools

Mature age applicants for enrolment in government schools can access the application forms and guidelines below.


NT Department of Education
School Operations
GPO Box 4821 Darwin NT 0801
Email: schoolops.det@nt.gov.au

Non-government schools

Mature age applicants for Catholic schools should contact the Catholic Education Office:

Catholic Education Office
PO Box 219 Berrimah NT 0828
Phone: 08 8984 1400
Email: admin.ceo@nt.catholic.edu.au

Mature age applicants for all other independent schools should contact the Association of Independent Schools NT:

Association of Independent Schools NT
GPO Box 2085 Darwin NT 0801
Phone: 08 8981 8668
Email: accounts@aisnt.asn.au

Get the following gifted and talented education policy documents:

Get the following policy documents for giving medication to students.

Get the following preschool specific policy documents.

Get the following policy documents for non-government schools:

For further information, please contact the Manager of Non-Government Schools at ngs.det@nt.gov.au

School representative bodies provide a way for parents and community members to be involved with decisions at schools.

There are three types of school representative bodies:

  • school council - an elected body of members for a government school
  • independent public school board - an elected body of members for government schools that are independent public schools
  • joint school representative body - an elected body of members which represent more than one government school.

Role of school representative bodies

A school representative body is the governing body of a school. They work with the school to achieve the best outcomes for students.

Independent public school boards have all the functions of a school council; however school boards focus on strategy and monitoring performance.  


For more information contact the Department of Education by calling (08) 8901 1383 or emailing schoolops.det@nt.gov.au.

Council of Government School Organisations

The Northern Territory Council of Government School Organisations (NTCOGSO) is a voluntary organisation made up of members from affiliated school representative bodies.

NTCOGSO provides support for school representative bodies including training and publication of resources for members.

For more information contact:

Phone: (08) 8999 3255
Fax: (08) 8999 3254

Independent public school board

Specific policy and guidelines for Independent public school boards are currently under development.

This policy is currently under review.

Get the following policy and supporting documents for swimming and water safety:

You can get the following Vocational Education and Training policy documents:

Go to Vocational Education and Training for information on procedures for VET Delivered to Secondary Students coordination and the VET DSS program handbook.

Last updated: 28 November 2017