Indigenous Languages and Cultures

Guidelines for the Implementation of Indigenous Languages and Cultures Programs in Schools

Implementation of the Northern Territory Board of Studies Keeping Indigenous Languages and Cultures Strong – A Plan for Teaching and Learning of Indigenous Languages and Cultures in the Northern Territory (the Plan) (1.9 mb) is scheduled for 2018 commencing with trials in selected schools.

  • …the Plan provides a long term vision and goal for building the capacity of our Indigenous leaders, sector and school leaders and classroom educators to implement teaching and learning programs in Indigenous Languages and Cultures.

The Plan aligns the teaching of Indigenous Languages and Cultures (ILC) in the Northern Territory with the Framework for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Languages as part of the Australian Curriculum: Languages learning area.

Guidelines for the implementation of ILC programs in schools have been developed to support schools in engaging with the Plan and the long term goals of building ILC teaching and learning capacity across the Northern Territory.

The guidelines also outline the roles and responsibilities of the regional and corporate office business units in supporting schools.

A revised Northern Territory Indigenous Languages and Cultures Curriculum has been drafted and will be trialled in a number of schools during 2018.

The guidelines have been developed for all NT schooling contexts; urban, remote and very remote, and can be used to guide practice regardless of whether the school is using the NTCF ILC curriculum or trialling the new Northern Territory Indigenous Languages and Cultures Curriculum.


For more information contact the Consultant, Indigenous Languages and Cultures Consultant by calling (08) 8944 9225 or email

Last updated: 08 July 2019


Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.