The Department of Education (DoE) provides education to young Territorians from the early years to adulthood.
It has a range of strategic policy, regulatory, delivery and support responsibilities including:
- ensuring quality early learning and development programs
- delivering high quality education services to maximise student learning
- providing pathways for school-aged students aligned with their further education, and work or career aspirations
- providing a regulatory function over the operation of early childhood services and non-government schools
- supporting Northern Territory (NT) institutions delivering tertiary education
- Vocational Education and Training in Schools (VETiS).
The delivery of services in childcare centres is the responsibility of the Federal Government although the department does fulfil a regulatory role through Quality Education and Care NT (QECNT).
The NT Department of Education CRICOS Registered Provider Number is 00780M.
The department employs about 4,150 people across the NT. This includes about 3500 teachers, principals and other school staff.
Every school day, we provide public education to about 33,000 students in 151 schools.
Education services are also delivered to about 40 Homeland Learning Centres (HLCs). HLCs are small remote sites delivering education services to small groups of students who are unable to attend the central school in their area.
Of the 188 government and non-government schools in the NT, 83 schools have nearly 100% Indigenous enrolment.
Ninety-one schools have Indigenous enrolments of over 80%, which accounts for about 23% of all students.
For more information about DoE, view the annual reports.
CEO Karen Weston
Deputy Chief Executive School Education
Dr Kevin Gillan
Executive Director Education Partnerships
Executive Director Schools North
Acting Executive Director Schools South
Executive Director Corporate Services
Acting Executive Director School Support Services
General Manager Indigenous Education Review Implementation
General Manager Strategic Services
Director of the Office of Chief Executive
General Manager Early Childhood Education and Care
Last updated: 07 June 2022
Share this page:URL copied!