Indigenous Education Strategy
The Northern Territory Government commissioned the A Share in the Future Review in 2013 to get an informed understanding of the impact of programs and initiatives and to make recommendations to optimise education and training outcomes for Indigenous students.
A review of Indigenous education in the Northern Territory (NT), published in 2014, made a number of recommendations which were endorsed by the government.
A 10 year Indigenous Education Strategy was developed to implement these recommendations.
- A Share in the Future - Review of Indigenous Education in the NT
- Indigenous Education Strategy 2015-2024
The Indigenous Education Strategy (The Strategy) framework is delivered in four stages.
- Stage 1: 2015 – 2017
- Stage 2: 2018 – 2020
- Stage 3: 2021 – 2023
- Stage 4: 2024 - Final evaluation
The Strategy’s five elements are:
- foundations - Indigenous children entering primary schooling have the skills and attributes they need to succeed in their education
- essentials - Indigenous students achieve age benchmarks in literacy and numeracy in their primary years of schooling and plan for their secondary education with confidence
- pathways - Indigenous students complete schooling well equipped to take up employment, training and higher education opportunities
- engagement - Indigenous children at all stages of schooling attend school regularly and
are supported in their education by their families and community
- workforce - Indigenous student outcomes are improved through a consistent system-wide approach to providing highly skilled and motivated educators and leaders.
Stage 1 Evaluation
The three year delivery of stage one was completed in 2017.
An external evaluation of stage one was conducted by ACIL Allen Consulting in partnership with the Batchelor Institute.
Stage 2 (2018-2020)
Consultations with stakeholders, including school communities and the external evaluation, collectively informed the development of stage two of the Strategy. Stage two implementation also incorporated the government’s commitment to community engagement and local decision-making including community-led schools.
Stage 3 preparation (2021-2023)
Before the commencement of stage three, a review and consultation with stakeholders will be conducted to inform the stage three activities.
The Indigenous Education and Operations team continues to oversee the implementation of the Strategy.
To ensure effective targeting of funding, the NT Government has worked with the Australian Government to align the Stronger Futures National Partnership Agreement with the key actions across the strategy’s implementation.
Indigenous Education and Operations team
08 8944 9365
Last updated: 27 October 2020
Share this page: