Teacher Registration (NT) Act
The Act defines 'teacher' to mean a person who is qualified to program and deliver a course of instruction at a school and to assess the work of students in relation to that course of instruction.
A person who is currently registered as a teacher in the Northern Territory may undertake the duties of a teacher in any school in the Northern Territory.
Since the commencement of sections 72 and 73 of the Act on 1 February 2005, it is an offence to employ an unregistered teacher and it is an offence to teach when unregistered. The penalty for each offence is 50 penalty units (currently $6,650).
Teacher Registration (Northern Territory) Act
Teacher registration was introduced in the Northern Territory in September 2004 when the Teacher Registration (Northern Territory) Act (the Act) came into operation.
The objective of the Act is to ensure that only persons who are fit and proper, appropriately qualified and competent to teach, are employed as teachers in the Territory. The objective is achieved by the establishment of the Teacher Registration Board (the TRB or the Board) to register persons as teachers and to facilitate the continuing competence of teachers in the Territory.
Important changes to the Act
Major changes have been made to the Act, effective from 1 September 2010. In relation to the registration of teachers, the main changes to the legislation are:
- The introduction of two categories of registration: Full Registration and Provisional Registration
- The introduction of registration renewal requirements (e.g. requirements in addition to simply paying the fee in order to renew your registration)
- Additional powers allowing the Board to request information from third parties (e.g. referees of applicants)
- Additional powers allowing the Board to impose, vary or revoke conditions on a teacher’s registration
- Additional powers allowing the Board to monitor compliance with the Act (e.g. ensure teachers are not teaching without registration).
Last updated: 12 July 2018
Share this page:URL copied!