Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Teaching in the Territory Excellence Awards
The Teaching in the Territory Excellence Awards recognise the contribution of government school teachers, principals and support staff to quality education. Nominations can be submitted by school staff, students, parents and guardians and the general public.
The Northern Territory (NT) and regional winners are announced at events on World Teachers’ Day.
Read more about World Teachers' Day.
Categories and eligibility
|NT Support Staff Member of the Year||The nominee must be an employee of an NT government school or school council, e.g. Assistant Teachers, Inclusion Support Assistants and Indigenous Education Workers (not engaged in professional work as a teacher).|
|NT Vocational Education Trainer of the Year||The nominee must be an employee of an NT Government school or school council at the time of nomination.|
|NT Indigenous Educator of the Year||The nominee must be a qualified, registered and practising Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander classroom teacher, working in a NT Government school at the time of nomination.|
|NT Early Childhood Teacher of the Year||Teachers nominated for the Early Childhood Teacher of the Year award must be a registered teacher of children aged between 4 and 8 years and teaching in a NT Government school.|
|Teacher of the Year in a Special School||The nominee must be a qualified, registered and practising classroom teacher, working in a NT Government special school at the time of nomination.|
|NT Primary Teacher of the Year||The nominee must be a qualified, registered and practising classroom teacher, working in a NT Government school at the time of nomination.|
|NT Middle Years Teacher of the Year||The nominee must be a qualified, registered and practising classroom teacher, working in a NT Government school at the time of nomination.|
|NT Senior Secondary Teacher of the Year||The nominee must be a qualified, registered and practising classroom teacher, working in a NT Government school at the time of nomination.|
|NT Principal of the Year||All NT Government school principals are eligible for nomination.|
Any student, parent, colleague, principal, member of the school council or resident of the NT can nominate a teacher, support staff member, or principal for the Teaching in the Territory Excellence Awards.
Nominations for the 2016 Teaching in the Territory Awards open on 25 July and close on 19 August 2016.
To nominate, complete the online form.
Terms and conditions
- Staff can be nominated for more than one category, however they are only eligible to win one award.
- Nominations will not be accepted after the advertised due date.
- Nominations in the teacher, trainer and support staff categories must be endorsed by the nominees principal.
- Nominations in the principal category must be endorsed by their regional director.
- Nominations in the Indigenous educator category must be endorsed by the principal if the nominee is a teacher or regional director in their region if the nominee is a principal.
- Reasons for nominating must not exceed 250 words.
- To be considered, nominees must show significant personal contribution to improved student outcomes, engagement and wellbeing.
- Schools can only endorse one nomination per category.
- Failure to comply with the terms and conditions may result in nominations not being accepted.
- Nominees must fit the eligibility criteria as outlined.
- The Department of Education reserves the right not to award a winner or regional finalist in a category and the judges’ decision is final.
- Nominations should, as much as possible, limit the disclosure of information which may be considered to be confidential.
- Information pertaining to individual students is confidential and should not be released without the written permission of the parent, guardian or student concerned.
- No responsibility will be accepted for incomplete, damaged, corrupt or non-received entries.
- Nominations will remain the property of the Northern Territory Government and may be reproduced in electronic or print format.
- Regional and NT finalists will be selected based on the information provided in their nomination form and endorsements.
- All information provided to support a nomination is subject to the provisions of the Northern Territory Information Act and therefore may be provided to the nominee if requested by them.
- Regional category winners will progress as finalists to the overall NT Awards in each category.
For more information contact the department using the following details:
phone: (08) 8999 5719
fax: (08) 8999 5711
Last updated: 01 November 2016