Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
As a teacher in the Territory you will support young Territorians to reach their potential and help build brighter futures.
We need exceptional teachers to join us in making a difference who are:
- committed to providing students with a high quality education
- professional and driven, with the enthusiasm to make a difference
- passionate about community engagement.
You will have the opportunity to live and work in a unique environment.
Go to Teaching in the Territory website for more information about living and working in the Northern Territory.
The Northern Territory currently has opportunities for permanent and temporary classroom teaching positions.
Register your interest for the Teacher Recruitment Drive
Apply now for advertised classroom teacher vacancies
Read more about the new rates for temporary and relief teaching positions.
Benefits of teaching in the Territory
You will receive a number of benefits including:
- wages and packages that are some of the best in the country
- opportunities and career paths that will fast track your career
- unique experiences working in urban and remote locations
- flexible working arrangements including ongoing, fixed period and relief teaching
- excellent professional growth and development
- overseas opportunities through strong educational partnerships with Timor Leste, China and Japan
- opportunities to diversify to become specialist educators and school leaders.
To apply for a teacher position in the Northern Territory you need to meet all of the following requirements:
- Registration with the Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory
- Possession of a Northern Territory OCHRE card Working with Children Clearance
- Graduates completing initial teacher education (ITE) courses after 1 July 2016 are required to provide proof of successful completion of the National Literacy and Numeracy Test for ITE students
- Copies of relevant teaching qualification certificate/s and transcripts
- Minimum two referees that should comprise of a principal, assistant principal or equivalent and your most recent employer will be contacted. If you are a graduate, referee reports are not required as your final practicum report is sufficient; if you are a Charles Darwin University or Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education graduate, your exit interview is sufficient.
Employment in the NT public sector
Government school teachers are employed by the Northern Territory Government.
Read more about rates of pay, benefits and conditions of employment.
You can contact the department by calling (08) 8999 3501 or emailing email@example.com to find out more about teaching in the Territory.