Orientation and induction for urban and rural teachers
This page has information on the department's orientation program and local induction for teachers.
If you are a graduate teacher, new to the Northern Territory or a recommencing teacher (returning after three years or more), you will need to attend the orientation program to help you transition into your new position.
The program provides you with an opportunity for professional networking and to learn more about living and working in the Northern Territory.
You will also learn more about the department’s resources, support services and strategic initiatives.
You will discuss best practice strategies and pedagogy for teaching EAL/D students as well as curriculum, assessment and reporting expectations.
You will be further supported through a local induction when you arrive at the school.
Your local induction will begin with an introduction to expectations and practices. You will also be introduced to school priorities, policies, procedures, processes and routines.
This is a perfect time to meet support and administrative staff and teaching colleagues to discuss ways you can learn, plan, teach and assess together.
Your induction will continue and be supported through mentoring and professional learning.
The duration of local induction will depend on your career stage and needs.
To learn more about local induction read the information for principals section.
What to expect
The purpose of local induction is to:
- introduce you to the school, community and working culture
- clarify your role and responsibilities
- inform you about the teaching context and student cohort
- develop your team teaching skills and practices
- establish and formalise your mentoring relationship
- assist you to develop your teaching practice against the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
- support you to understand and collect evidence to meet the professional requirements set out by the Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory
- identify opportunities to help maintain your wellbeing and build your professional identity.
Teach in the Territory website:
Go to the Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory website for information on professional standards and ethics.
Last updated: 07 January 2021
Share this page: