Induction for urban and rural teachers

Prior to commencement

This page has information on available resources to provide an overview of teaching in the Territory prior to commencing your new role.

Contacting your new principal is a good way to learn more about the school, students and the community.

You may want to ask your principal about:

  • Student cohort
  • Literacy and numeracy programs used in the school
  • Specialist teachers
  • Details of the first day/week at the school
  • After school meetings

Teacher responsibilities

The teacher responsibilities guide clarifies the role of teachers working in schools.

Read more about the teacher responsibilities guide.

The curriculum

The Australian Curriculum forms the basis of teaching and learning in Northern Territory schools.

Read more about the NT school curriculum and curriculum resources for teachers.

Go to the Australian Curriculum website for more information.

English as a second language

Indigenous language speaking students have English as an additional language or dialect and are provided intercultural teaching and learning instruction as they learn the curriculum.

Read more about English as a second language resources for teachers.

Read more about the English as a second language policy and guidelines.

Go to the Australian Council for TESOL Associations website for English as an additional language or dialect (EAL/D) professional standards.

Read the EAL/D capability framework to develop knowledge and practice for teaching English as an additional dialect or language learners.

Online training

EAL/D Hub - under construction

Support for teachers

A range of resources are available to support your teaching and professional development.

Read more about support for teachers.

Print all pages in this section

Last updated: 21 August 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.