Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
The Northern Territory Board of Studies (NTBOS) develops and provides high quality curriculum, assessment, reporting and certification to students in the Northern Territory from Preschool to Year 12.
The operational business of the board is carried out by the relevant operational sections of the Department of Education.
Following the introduction of the Education Act 2015, NTBOS now has a mixed model of membership with 11 members including six education experts.
The board's focus includes the following:
- Northern Territory curriculum and assessment
- early childhood
- middle years
- Indigenous education
- Vocational Education and Training
- Year 10, 11 and 12 outcomes
The board promotes a common curriculum for the compulsory years of schooling which is designed to provide a challenging level of education for all learners, whatever their aspirations and abilities, and to ensure that all learners have the opportunity to learn in recognised areas.
In the pursuit of equity, the board fosters the fullest participation in education of groups and individuals for whom participation may involve special problems.
To cooperate and consult with prescribed authorities or bodies engaged in education and related matters.
To provide advice to the Minister for Education and the chief executive on curriculum policy in relation to:
- establishing and maintaining curriculum frameworks that encompass the needs of all students in the Territory school education system
- establishing and maintaining procedures for student assessment, reporting and certification
- monitoring, evaluating and reporting on student performances
- improving student outcomes
- government policy that impacts on the Board’s functions.
Certification and awards
Student achievement is recognised through an inclusive framework of awards and certification that aims to ensure every young person leaves school with appropriate documentation.
The board provides statistics on the Northern Territory Certificate of Education and Training (NTCET). Read more about NTCET statistics.
You can contact NTBOS using the following details.
GPO Box 4821
Darwin NT 0801
phone: (08) 8944 9204
fax: (08) 8999 4363
Last updated: 27 July 2016