Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Teaching in urban schools
Urban schools are located in Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine and Alice Springs.
Living and working in an urban location allows you to enjoy the unique lifestyle of the Northern Territory with the convenience of town facilities. Go to the Australia's Northern Territory website for more information about living and working in the Northern Territory.
Some 27% of government schools are located in urban locations, delivering high quality education to 52% of students enrolled in Northern Territory government schools.
Urban schools reflect the diversity found in the Territory, delivering education to students from a variety of different backgrounds and cultures.
The Northern Territory currently has opportunities for permanent and temporary classroom teaching positions.
Register your interest for the Teacher Recruitment Drive.
Apply now for advertised classroom teacher vacancies.
Read more about the new rates for temporary and relief teaching positions.
To apply for a teacher position in the Northern Territory you need to meet all of the following requirements:
- Registration with the Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory
- Possession of a Northern Territory OCHRE card Working with Children Clearance
- Graduates completing initial teacher education (ITE) courses after 1 July 2016 are required to provide proof of successful completion of the National Literacy and Numeracy Test for ITE students
- Copies of relevant teaching qualification certificate/s and transcripts
- Minimum two referees that should comprise of a principal, assistant principal or equivalent and your most recent employer will be contacted. If you are a graduate, referee reports are not required as your final practicum report is sufficient; if you are a Charles Darwin University or Batchelor Institute of Indigenous Tertiary Education graduate, your exit interview is sufficient.
Conditions and support
As a teacher in an urban school you will receive a competitive salary and range of benefits.
Read more about pay and conditions of employment.
Orientation and support
You will be provided with support and training both prior to commencing and throughout your employment. This includes regular access to targeted professional learning opportunities relevant to working in an urban school in the Northern Territory.
Read more about your responsibilities as a teacher.
You can contact the department by calling 1800 646 391 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.